Sunday, August 7, 2011

THE VOICE IN THE VOTING BOOTH

I remember the day I voted in my first national election.  My parents and I had talked about the candidates and chose the ones we thought were best for our country.  I had everything settled in my mind and knew just how to vote for each office.  But when I got to the voting booth, things suddenly looked different, and I was confused.  Everything seemed clear before; now it all seemed a little sketchy.
That’s when I heard the voice.  It said, “Well, you know who you want for President…”  Then the voice walked me through the voting process.  I know what you’re thinking.  But, no, the voice wasn’t God; it was my Daddy.  He was in the booth beside me and somehow knew I needed help.  I have laughed so many times about “the voice” in the voting booth. 
That experience reminds me of the scripture in Isaiah 30:21:  “And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.”  Now that is the voice of God.  He wants to eliminate our confusion and steer us in the right direction.  We don’t have to beg Him to do it.  He wants to do it.  But we do have to open our hearts and our ears to hear His voice.
When Jesus told His disciples He would be going away, I imagine they were in a state of confusion and panic. After all, how could they carry on His ministry without Him.  Everything revolved completely around Jesus.  When He was taken out of the picture, there was nothing left…was there?  It didn’t make any sense to their natural minds. 
Jesus explained that He would send another Comforter.  A comforter is one who comes alongside.  He is not at a distance, but right there, just like Jesus was.  Jesus promised this Comforter, His Holy Spirit, would be with them and in them to abide forever.  They would not be alone when Jesus was no longer with them in the flesh.  They would be able to hear His voice in their spirit and know which way to go.
We have the same promise.  He is the voice that tells us “this is the way”.  He is the power we need to enable us to obey.  He is the One Who will bring to our remembrance all that Jesus has taught us.  Listen for the voice of the Holy Spirit.  Listen when you are at a crossroad, when you feel all alone, when you face difficult circumstances, when everything seems to fall into place…and even in the voting booth.  Listen in the morning, midday and night.  He will tell you clearly, “This is the way, walk ye in it.”
I was so thankful for the voice in the voting booth.  I am even more thankful for the voice of the Spirit who lovingly instructs me where to place my next step!

No comments:

Post a Comment