Friday, July 8, 2011

CHANGING

            My friends and family are so proud of me for starting this blog…not necessarily because they want the benefit of my great wisdom.  Rather, they are cheering me on in my first shaky steps into this area of cyberspace.  To say I am not computer savvy is an understatement, but I am taking steps – baby steps, but steps nonetheless – to change that.
            I am of the breed that took great pride in handwriting my articles and my books before the final drafts were finally typewritten.  (Yes, I remember the days of typewriters and mimeograph machines.)  Although I can’t remember exactly when it happened, I discovered it was much easier to type the first draft into my computer, save it, and make all the corrections in segments instead of rewriting everything each time. 
            I admit I have a strong aversion to change.  When I decided to brave the Face Book arena with help from my son, I felt like Columbus discovering the New World.  Yet I find that I am still on that journey of advancement.  There are always large and small changes to be made. 
            The other day, when I was looking for a way to save a document in PDF format, I couldn’t find a way to get it done.  In my experience I simply clicked on ‘file’, ‘save as’ and then clicked ‘PDF’.  This program didn’t give me that option.  With the help of a friend, I realized the solution to my problem was right before me the whole time.  Because it was different from what I had always done, I did not see it.  The process was simple once it was pointed out to me.
            Change is inevitable - some good, some bad.  Jesus always initiates good change although it may not look like it from my viewpoint.  Sometimes, He shows me an attitude or an area of my life I need to change because it is keeping me from being truly free.  Or maybe He shows me the next step I need to take in following Him.  He knows when I am afraid to take that step.  He knows when I feel inadequate.  Then He tells me as He did Joshua, “Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.”
            Whether the next step is allowing Him to change something to set me free or to use me to help set someone else free, I know I am not on my own.  He opens my eyes to new territory and guides me through.  I have been on many journeys with Him and He has never let me down! 
            I’m not sure what I will tackle next, but I think I’ll wait a while before crossing another ocean to the New World, unless…..       

P.S.  I still handwrite my journals!

No comments:

Post a Comment